I have been married to my husband Cory for 25 years. We have 4 children, Bekah is married to Ryan Campbell and teaches 5th grade at Worthington (big surprise, another teacher:-)) We are also thrilled to have a 20-month old grandson named Bleys and a 4 month old granddaughter named Natalia. I absolutely love being a grandma and having them live so close in Fulda! Ben is a sophomore at SDSU in Brookings, South Dakota. He is in the pre-pharmacy program there and will be entering pharmacy school next year. Nate is a senior this year through an online school called Insight School of MN. He enjoys working on the family farm in his spare time by Bricelyn, MN and going trail riding with his four-wheeler whenever possible. Ellie is a 9th grader and is involved in basketball, band and choir along with enjoying guitar lessons and piano. She actively writes her own music and frequently performs at various events and venues.
I attended Northwestern College from 1992-1994 and after a long sabbatical where I raised our children and taught private piano and vocal lessons, I returned to school in 2010 at Minnesota State University, Mankato and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Vocal Music Education in December of 2012. I absolutely LOVE music and getting to teach my passion to students is icing on the cake!In my spare time I like to exercise, sing at various events, worship team at church, read, and spend time with our kids and grandkid! I also like to arrange music and am working on composing music for a Christian Contemporary CD (if only there were more hours in a day!!).
Distance Learning Expectations for All Choir Classes
These are crazy times, but as long as we continue some sort of educational routine as long as school is closed, we’ll be able to build resilience and tenacity and come out stronger on the other side!
Changes from Real Classroom to Online Classroom
- Daily Points - are no more. It’s hard for me to expect you to check-in with me every single school day. Instead, I will have weekly assignments for you to complete through SmartMusic. I am also hoping to use zoom to have private lessons so that you can continue to learn how to sing.
- This means your assignments will be worth more!
- Attendance - You must check-in with your homeroom teacher by 11:30am every school day. Check with them on how that will work.
I will be using Google Classroom for all assignments and learning materials.
My approach will be simple:
- I will post assignments that you can work on throughout the week, on your own time.
- Most of the time it will be ~2-3 assignments posted throughout the week. Larger assignments will have regular check-ins if they take longer than a week. (For example, Learning your part on a new song from SmartMusic)
- ALL assignments on Google Classroom will be posted with a due date on it. Make sure to pay attention to that when you receive new materials and assignments!
Turning in assignments
- ALL your assignment files should have your name and the title of the assignment. It should NOT be “Untitled document” As you do more of your school work online, you need to keep your electronic work organized and titling it will help you TONS!
- Example: Paige M. Sight Singing Lesson 6
- Assignment files not properly titled will be docked 5%
- Late assignments will be docked 10% and Google tracks that very well.
Google Classroom has plenty of communication tools we can use to continue learning during the closure.
IF YOU DON’T TALK TO ME, I WON’T KNOW IF SOMETHING IS WRONG. Please, please, please utilize these communication avenues in Google Classroom
Private comment on Google Classroom
Class comment on Google Classroom
Need something adjusted to accommodate your unique circumstances (personal life gets tough)
Have a quick question about an assignment
Just need to talk to someone or vent about life
Have a question or need clarification on an activity that you think would help the whole class.
Need further help or explanations on something
Questions about grades
Need me to explain things face-to-face or over the phone
- Google Hangouts/Meet: If you prefer to learn by someone explaining it, we can set up a time over Google Hangouts to go over the material or assignment so you can understand it better. PLEASE, if you set up a Hangout/Meet time with me, don’t be a flake. Put reminders in your phone and around your house to remember!
- Sheldahl’s Office Hours
Monday-Friday - 9:00-11:00am and 1:00-3:00pm
If you try to get a hold of me outside of these hours, I will respond as quick as I can during my next set of office hours.
Communicating via email is NOT the same as snapchat, instagram, or tik-tok.
- Make sure to use proper capitalization, punctuation, and grammer
- Please be POLITE and KIND with your words.
- REVIEW what you wrote to make sure it sounds polite and kind
- Use complete sentences! No phrases or abbreviations or an unnecessary amount of letters in your words (ex. Yaaaasssssss quuueeeeennnnnn)
Email Template If you’re struggling with an assignment
Hello (insert teacher’s name),
I am having trouble with (insert assignment name here). Could you please help me by (insert how your teacher can help - explaining things further, clarifying a certain, double checking your work before you turn it in, etc.)?
Thank you so much!
(insert your name here)
Email Template… to send your first email to me
How are you? (Talk about yourself… tell me what you did during your 8-day spring break). One thing I’m most worried about with this school closure is (insert your thing here. Why are are your worried about it?) I could use your help (insert what I can personally help you with - school work, food, internet, ANYTHING). Is there anything you need from me to help things go smoother?
*adapted from Loretta Halbur
Thank you so much!
(insert your name here)